Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Stinky Cheese Burger

Luke and I have been perfecting this burger for years. It's time to share. Get ready for the best burger of your life...

Before the grill:
Make the patties by mixing ground hamburger with crushed soda crackers, about 1 cracker per 1/4 pound of meat. (This helps the patties stick together.)

Make the buffalo sauce by combining equal parts Franks Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce and brown sugar. Heat the sauce just barely to a boil, and then let cool.

On the grill:
Cook the burgers according to your liking, coating liberally with buffalo sauce at the beginning, and after each flip. 3 minutes before the burgers are done, add gorgonzola cheese crumbles to each patty while still on the grill (the gorgonzola takes a few minutes to fully melt).

After the grill:
Spread a bit of spicy brown mustard on the bun. Top the burger with a slice of tomato, a couple sliced rings of a red onion, and a few slices of avocado. If you like the spicy stuff, you could add a bit more buffalo sauce here.

Now eat.

Yummy.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That makes my mouth water just reading it . . .

Carol's Corner said...

Poor me. I've gone back to Weight Watchers. This sounds wonderful to me. However . . .

Alex said...

I made this for dinner last night, with a few substitutions. First, I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. Second, I didn't have any brown sugar on hand so I used honey instead: 2 parts hot sauce to 1 part honey. The burgers turned out great. Good work on the creation.

Alex said...

I made this again today. I used turkey burgers again. This time I used brown sugar in the sauce (it was better that way vs. when I had to substitute honey last time). I tried something new, though: I put a slice of grilled pineapple on the burger. It was awesome. You need to add pineapple. The sweetness of the pineapple brings out the spiciness of the buffalo sauce.

I'd say pineapple, avocado, and red onion are the right toppings for the stinky cheeseburger. Forget the tomato.