Thursday, September 17, 2009

Ebelskivers

Eric helped figure out that this is a Danish dish. I'm sure you could fill them with just about anything!

2 C buttermilk
2 C flour
3 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 T sugar
applesauce
oil

Beat egg yolks; add sugar, salt and milk. Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder and add to mixture (I hardly ever sift it). In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into mixture. Batter should be slightly lumpy with visible drops of egg white.

Heat a small amount of oil in each cup of the pan. Over medium-low heat, fill each cup 1/2 full with batter. Place a small drop of applesauce on top of batter, then cover with another drop of batter. Cook until bubbly, then turn carefully with a fork.

Serve topped with applesauce. Enjoy!

You can buy the pan at Williams Sonoma and Bed, Bath & Beyond.

2 comments:

Carley said...

Heber and I had a New Year's Day Breakfast party this year. He tried out the ebelskivers (not sure what recipe he used...) and they were delicious!!! A good friend of ours has this really yummy syrup recipe. I'll have to post it, it is a must! I think we are going to make it tradition to have these on Christmas morning :)

Sarah said...

I didn't notice your comment until now . . .

My mom always made these for New Year's Day breakfast!! Would definitely make a great tradition for Christmas. (She would make her fabulous cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning - maybe I'll post that recipe too!)

Can't wait to try your syrup recipe!