Sunday, October 18, 2009

Grilled Tacos

We had a few friends over for dinner last weekend, so I made grilled tacos. I got all the meat from a Mexican carnicerĂ­a, Super Mercado Jalisco. The meat an other ingredients included:

  • 1 lb of espalda de res (very thinly sliced steak, like for carne asada)
  • 1 lb of pechuga de pollo (chicken breast), sliced lengthwise into long, flat slices
  • 1 lb of lomo de cerdo (pork loin), sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
  • 1 can sliced pineapple
  • tortillas (both corn and flour)
  • 1 can chipotle peppers
  • grapefruit juice
  • 4 roma tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 avocados

I brushed adobo (from the can of chipotle peppers) onto the pork and let it sit for a couple of hours. I marinated the steak and the chicken in grapefruit juice for a couple of hours (I stole that idea from La Carreta in Orem, UT).

While the meat marinated, I roasted the tomatoes and garlic on my grill and combined them with some chipotles in my molcajete to make salsa. I saved off about half of the salsa and smashed some avocados into the rest to make guacamole.

Next, I grilled the meat along with the pineapple slices. When it was done, I chopped the meat and pineapple and then warmed tortillas on the grill.

We just let everyone make their own tacos from the meat, pineapple, salsa, guacamole, chopped white onion, sour cream, cilantro, cheese, red rice (recipe available on request), and black beans. It all came together deliciously.

1 comment:

Rach said...

I'd like to request that red rice recipe.